The direction tech is heading these days is pretty fascinating. Suffice to say that researching and reading about all the newest technological advances consumes a major part of my time. This blog is meant to share my thoughts on what's happening in this fantastic world and get fellow tech-enthusiasts to contribute their thoughts and experiences as well.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

StoreDot - Nanotechnology Inspired by Nature

Smartphones have become a key part of all our lives. We use it every day, to check emails, call people, play games and stream social network websites like Facebook. But, using smartphones does come at a cost, and that is dealing with their battery lifespan.  For example, Apple’s iPhone 5s has an average battery talk time of 10 hours while Samsung’s S4 has an average battery life of 17 hours.  And the more features you use, the shorter the battery life.
The picture below shows the battery of a further variety of phone (note: they are measured according to talk-time)



For a teen like me this isn't really a problem, if I leave it to charge the night before. But let’s say that I forget to charge my phone overnight and let’s say my phone is an iPhone 5s with a battery life span of just 10 hours. So I realize when I wake up the next morning that my phone is dead and it is too late by then. The iPhone takes roughly takes two hours to charge, implying that I don’t have the time to get it charged. I think the problem would be felt  much more for business folks. Luckily for me and I guess for all of us, an Israeli start-up company has come up with the perfect solution – StoreDot technology.
 As some of you might’ve read in the newspapers earlier StoreDot is a revolutionary technology that incorporates nanotechnology in their battery charger. The Charger as seen in the video charges a Samsung S4 to 100% in 26 seconds. Something that would've been impossible to believe without video proof.



Quoting the Telegraph, “"Batteries are just one of the industries we can disrupt with this new material. It is new physics, new chemistry, a new approach to devices," said Dr Myersdorf, founder of StoreDot.”
So I was thinking while this technology is still in its infancy – where it could be incorporated in 10 years. Battery powered cars like the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf require long charge times. And Battery powered vehicles are the future right? But what use is an electric car if its battery is dead? I’m sure that technology similar to StoreDot’s would be the ideal solution. Innovative chargers which can charge your car in 30 minutes flat, and I believe engineers are currently developing such technology for the Tesla model S.


Here is the link to StoreDot’s website: http://www.store-dot.com/

5 comments:

  1. Good job Maanav! I enjoyed reading this. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks man, trying to put one up every week. like hopefully my Saturday i'll be putting one up about the OnePlus One

    ReplyDelete
  3. Longer battery life can have a big impact - this technology being made available for a laptop would be something I would look forward to

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great find, by the Israeli startup, and by you Maanav :) for people like me who need to travel, have an iPhone and do not keep up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this article. you might be interested in :instadp download

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts

statistics

Subscribe

Recent

Comment

Why It Is Useful?

Formulir Kontak

Name

Email *

Message *

Get To Me!

Powered by Blogger.